Booze shock: Alcohol puts a child under FIVE in hospital every week
on 24/05/12 at 11:58 amBooze News
ONE child under five is taken to hospital every week after drinking alcohol, shock NHS figures reveal.
In six cases they were not even 12 months old, with experts blaming booze being left carelessly around the house or parents giving it to children to help get them off to sleep.
Overall more than 2,000 under 16s were treated last year for alcohol problems.
And only last week an 11-year-old girl was rushed to hospital in Gloucester after drinking what police said was a vast quantity of vodka which had been concealed in a soft drinks bottle.
The NHS says it is growing trend as every week three 10 and 11-year-olds are taken to hospital in England after drinking too much.
Prof Mark Bellis, of the Centre for Public Health, said cheap supermarket deals had led to a massive increase in the amount of alcohol stored at homes – putting children at risk.