Going to Bali? Tourists Warned Not To Drink Arak

on 04/06/14 at 11:09 am

Booze News

imagesA travel insurer has apparently warned Australians not to drink the local arak while on holiday in Bali following a spate of methanol poisonings.

According to the New Zealand Herald, recent years have seen a rise in poisonings among Australian and New Zealand tourists in Indonesia and Travel Insurance Direct Online is now advising against drinking arak as it is a “real danger”.

In 2011 New Zealander Michael Denton died after drinking some as did Australian teenager Liam Davies on New Year’s Day last year.

Another 19 year old woman was blinded after drinking a contaminated cocktail in 2012 and in 2009 four tourists in Indonesia died with the chief cause being attributed to arak.

READ MORE