Got what it takes to be a Head Brewer? Modern Times Beer is hiring
on 19/09/12 at 11:34 amBooze News
Modern Times Beer in San Diego, California is in search of a skilled, experienced, process-oriented Head Brewer. We are a 30bbl production brewery-in-planning, and we aim to be up and running in 6-12 months (financing is complete, we’re now focusing on site & equipment selection).
Modern Times will brew bold, flavorful, boundary-pushing beer in a highly collaborative, creative environment. The Head Brewer’s primary goals will be to kick out perfectly consistent batches, ensure immaculate QA, and guide the brewery through growth and expansion.
The ideal candidate will have done this before, having spent several years at a rapidly growing brewery where he/she applied a vast array of knowledge about brewing, engineering, and microbiology to the task of turning a small brewery into a bigger one.
An ideal candidate is (…if you don’t exactly meet these specifications, explain why you’re still right for the job in your cover letter):
1) Uncompromising about beer quality and exceptionally detail-oriented, with at least 5 years of experience in a production brewery
2) Hard working, focused, organized, and a natural leader, with at least 3 years of supervisory experience
3) A great communicator who values giving & receiving constructive feedback in a collaborative environment
4) Experienced in all aspects of running a production brewery
5) A graduate of a professional brewing education program
6) Able to start working as a consultant immediately and come on full-time in approximately 6 months
7) Likely to feel comfortable in an environment that prioritizes beer geekery, collaborative communication, hard work, long hours, and an obsessive commitment to making world class beer
8) Excited to live in San Diego, one of the best beer cities in human history and the land of perpetually immaculate weather, gorgeous beaches, world class bars and restaurants, great hiking, year round
farmers markets, etc…
A full job description will be provided to qualified applicants.
As for compensation, this is a start-up so it’s not going to be all limos and cashmere socks from the get-go. That said, taking care of our people is a core value of Modern Times, and if we’re successful, we’ll be excited to generously share that success with everyone who helped make it possible. Equity, a 2 month paid sabbatical, and cashmere socks possible after 5 years of outstanding service.
If you’ve made it this far, please send a resume and detailed cover letter to email@example.com with “I want to be your Head Brewer!” in the subject line.
Modern Times Beer is an equal opportunity employer. You can read more about us at moderntimesbeer.com