It’s National Watermelon Day! How about a watermelon cocktail?!
on 03/08/11 at 11:34 amBooze News
Although National Hamburger Day and National Ice Cream Sandwich Day are officially over, today is another special day! August 3rd is National Watermelon Day. As the temperature continues to climb, folks are finding ways to keep cool during the stifling heat and high humidity that has plagued a good portion of America. What could be better than having a refreshing slice or two of delicious watermelon?
While eating watermelon brings back fond childhood memories, watermelon has been eaten for over 5,000 years. With over 200 varieties, watermelons are actually related to the pumpkin, squash and cucumber family. Comprised of mostly water , loaded with Vitamins A and C and also helps reduce the risk of dehydration, Citrullus vulgaris is a super sweet treat that does not pack on the pounds – it’s fat free!
Watermelon With a Splash!
- Watermelon Margarita Ice Pops – These ice-cold popsicles are for the older crowd. You’ll need lime juice, sugar, water, seedless watermelon and silver tequila. Don’t forget the molds and wooden sticks.
- Watermelon and Rose Sangria – This recipe calls for fresh strawberries, watermelon, lime, sugar, lemonade, Cointreau and chilled rose wine.
- Watermelon Martinis – Bobby Flay shares this delicious recipe that calls for vodka, sugar, melon liqueur, lemon and watermelon.
- Pink Watermelon Chardonnay Sparklers – You’ll need watermelon, chardonnay and sparkling water for this pretty pink drink.
- Frozen Watermelon, Blackberry Margaritas with Cilantro and Vanilla – This frozen cocktail looks amazing! You’ll need blackberries, watermelon puree, vanilla extract, lime juice, fresh cilantro, tequila, triple sec and ice.
- Watermelon Mojitos – The Barefoot Contessa shares this recipe that calls for light rum, simple syrup, fresh mint leaves, watermelon and lime juice.
- Watermelon Mango Rum Punch – You’ll need watermelon purree, cran-raspberry and mango juice, rum, cherry schnapps and ice.
- Dragonfruit and Watermelon Sorbet Recipe – You’ll need watermelon puree, 2 dragonfruit, sugar, lime, vodka and lime.
- Spiked Watermelon Punch Recipe – You’ll need watermelon, lemon juice, sugar, vodka, fresh mint and crème de cassis for this drink.