Great Way To Try Grappa: Sage-Pear-Grappa Summer Punch
on 25/06/11 at 5:00 pmSpirits
This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Party Drink.
I came up with this recipe to go with a pork dinner, when our sage bush was going wild.
It’s fruity but not too sweet, summery but sophisticated. It pairs well with figs, dates, pesto, & pork.
It’s also lovely, light, & summery as a non-alcoholic spritzer: Just omit the grappa and add more simple syrup and seltzer.
Sage Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves
- Bring water almost to a boil.
- Add sugar and then sage leaves.
- Heat mixture, stirring until the sugar dissolves completely.
The Drink Itself:
- 3 ounces sage simple syrup (see above)
- 10 shots grappa
- 2 pears, sliced & seeded
- 8 sage leaves for garnish
- 1 splash selzer water