How to Read Italian Wine Labels. Prego.
on 30/01/14 at 9:22 amWine
Parts of an Italian Wine Label
Italian wine labels are widely varied in how they look. Fortunately there are a specific set of information and clues that you can proactively seek out to determine what it is. The next time you are looking bewildered at an Italian wine label, try to identify the following characteristics:
- Wine Type This can be identified through 1 of three ways (see below)
- Region The region will always sit next to the classification level
- Classification (DOCG, DOC, IGT, Vino de Tavola)
- Wine Name This is never next to the classification and usually indicates that the wine is a blend of multiple regional grapes.
- Producer Name Italian wineries will often use words like Tenuta, Azienda, Castello or Cascina in their name (see more examples below)MORE via Wine Folly